IATA/UFTAA Foundation Course
About the course
Study the basics of the travel and tourism industry and understand what it takes to become a successful travel agent. Improve your customer service and sales skills in order to better advise clients about when and where to travel based on their needs. Learn how to provide the best flight, accommodation and tour options, and how to ensure clients fulfil all necessary travel requirements.
What you will learn
- Provide excellent customer service and build customer loyalty
- Understand the various services and facilities available to airline passengers during their travel
- Advise customers on passport and visa requirements, as well as on travel insurance options
- Plan and reserve travel itineraries using standard industry coding
- Sell rail travel, car rental, hotel accommodation, cruises and pre-packaged tour products
- Book and sell travel products using Global Distribution Systems (GDS) such as Abacus, Amadeus, Galileo or Sabre
Who should attend
- Travel agents
- Airline reservation agents
- Tour operators
- Call center agents
- Overview of the travel and tourism industry
- Requirements to become a travel agent
- Customer service principles
- Air transport products and services
- Airfares and ticketing
- Electronic booking tools
- Pre-packaged tour products
- Introduction to rail, land and water transport
This course combines textbook and e-learning materials. A CD-ROM is included in this course study kit, requiring the following minimum system requirements: Windows 95, Internet Explorer 5.5, 16MB memory. Offered in partnership with UFTAA. Endorsed by the Canadian Institute of Travel Counselors (CITC)
The 13 modules in the Foundation Level will provide you with an understanding of the travel and tourism industry, the practicalities of the travel professional's role in this industry, the importance of exceeding customer expectations, and the role of technology in the travel industry.
In addition, you will become familiar with related subjects such as industry regulations, codes, world geography, air fares and ticketing including e-ticketing, visa and health requirements, as well as tour programs.
For self-study students, about 170 hours of intensive study are required to complete the Foundation course. Students studying at an IATA Authorised Training Centre could expect a longer period of study.
By successfully completing the examination*, you will become qualified as a holder of the IATA/UFTAA International Travel and Tourism Foundation Diploma and will be entitled to add the designation "DTTF" (Diploma in Travel and Tourism Foundations) after your name.
The GDS Electronic Booking Tools CD-ROM-based module requires the following minimum system requirements: Windows 95, Internet Explorer 5.5, 16MB memory.
- Secondary/High School Leaving Certificate/Diploma
- Basic Math skills
- Good English Skills
Course price is displayed in GBP but any currency can be purchased.
If you purchase the eBook version of this course IATA will email a Link to download the course textbooks and will ship the accompanying CD-ROMs. No shipping fees apply.
If you purchase the printed textbook version of this course , you will receive a printed study kit by courier delivery. The study kit includes a CD-ROM with the following minimum system requirements: Windows 95, Internet Explorer 5.5, 16MB memory. You will receive the link and access codes to the Harvard ManageMentor Program by email. Shipping fees apply.