Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I get from Copenhagen to Malmö? How long will it take? What’s the best/cheapest way? The fastest option is to go from Copenhagen to Malmö by train but you can also take a bus or drive your own vehicle across the bridge. The bridge charges Sek 375 per passenger car.

2. Which is better, to stay in the bigger cities or in the countryside? Obviously this depends on your personal preferences, but in Skåne you really don’t have to choose since the province is fairly small. Get the most out of your stay and spend one night in the city and the next in the countryside.

3. Where in Skåne can I have (or avoid) the most authentic experience? Once again, this depends on what you think is an authentic experience. The cities are great for seeing and talking to Swedes in their own habitat, but the countryside often has a more authentic feeling since the globalization hasn’t hit those areas as hard. To stay at a traditional inn (gästgivaregård) is usually an experience very well spoken about.

4. What will the weather be like? During the summer the weather in Sweden is mild and pleasant. Pack casual summer clothes, like a few medium-weight sweaters, a light jacket or raincoat. An overcoat is necessary in the autumn, winter and spring. Comfortable, low-heeled shoes are important, not only for the countryside, but also for sightseeing along cobblestone streets. Swedes like fashion. However, they avoid standing out in glitzy attire and will never abandon their jeans for too long. Informality is appropriate in most venues.

5. Do I need to be vaccinated before going to Skåne? Assuming that you are up-to-date on routine vaccines like measles-mumps-rubella (MMR), diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis, varicella (chickenpox) and polio – there are no additional vaccines you need when travelling to Skåne. Although, Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B outbreaks occur throughout the world, even sometimes in countries like Sweden that has a very low risk of contamination, so have this in mind when deciding to travel. Rabies is present in bats in Sweden. However, it is not a major risk to most travellers.

6. Which languages do people speak in Skåne? The most common language in Skåne is Swedish but English speaking travellers can leave their phrase books at home since the vast majority Swedes also speaks English. German has some similarities with Swedish.

7. I would like to read the news before arriving to be up to date on what is going on. Where can I do that? The Local is a great source of information since they report all the big Swedish news in English.

8. Will my phone work in Skåne? The EU "roam like at home" rules mean that when you use your mobile phone while travelling outside your home country in any EU country you don't have to pay any additional roaming charges. You benefit from these rules when calling (to mobile and fixed phones), sending text messages (SMS) and using data services while abroad. These rules also apply when receiving calls or texts while roaming even if the person you are calling is using a different service provider.

9. Where can I find ATM’s and do I need to have cash at hand? The currency in Sweden is the krona (SEK). Sweden is widely regarded as the most cashless society on the planet. Most of the country’s bank branches have stopped handling cash; many shops, museums and restaurants now only accept plastic or mobile payments. Cash or ATM machines in Sweden are called Bankomat, can be found in all bigger and smaller towns and accept most international credit cards. Although, credit or debit cards are the most common form of payment in Sweden so check with your bank at home whether using your card abroad is the most cost-effective way to make purchases. Also note that in Sweden only Chip & PIN cards can make payments or withdraw cash.

10. Do I need to rent a car in Skåne? If so, where can I rent one? If you’re staying in the cities you usually do not need a car, nor if you are heading to the semi-small towns since trains and buses go there frequently. If you want more flexibility though, a car can be rented at any airport, the bigger gas-stations or on-line. Rent the car on the Swedish side as it ́s cheaper than on the Danish side.

11. Highway Tolls: Sweden has highway tolls only for some bridges and tunnels. The bridge to Denmark Oresund charges Sek 375 per passenger car.

12. Driving license: A driving license issued in a state within the EEA is valid in Sweden as long as it is valid in the country where it was first issued. Either your driving license must have a photograph of yourself on it or you must, when driving, also have a valid ID document with you containing a photo. If your driving license has not been issued in English, German or French, the police may also require you to have with you a certified translation of your driving license. An international driving license is a certified translation that can be used for this purpose.

13. How do I get around in Skåne if I do not have a car? Skåne is often called Sweden’s portal to Europe, and the many plane, train and ferry communication connections makes it easy to get here. If you want to experience different parts of Skåne or if you feel like a change of scenery, everything is nearby and easily accessible by train, buses or car.

14. How are the road conditions/how do I drive in Skåne? Most roads in Skåne are made from asphalt but you might hit some gravel roads if you go far out into the countryside. Driving around is always smooth and bump-free ride. Roads can get very slippery in the winter so always beware of supercool.

15. I am a vegetarian/vegan, is it easy to find adapted meals? Generally speaking, southern Sweden is a lot more welcoming to vegans and veggies! While a lot of traditional Swedish food is heavy on meat and fish, vegetarians and vegans are now well catered for. There are restaurants specialising in veggie-friendly food in most big cities, but regardless of where you are in the country, most restaurants have at least one or two vegetarian dishes on their menus. Vegans may have a trickier time finding full dishes they can eat, but it’s almost always possible to put together a few side dishes and eat them as a full meal.

16. Do I need travel insurance? Travel insurance can minimize the considerable financial risks of travelling: accidents, illness, missed flights, canceled tours, lost baggage, theft, terrorism, travel-company bankruptcies, emergency evacuation. For some travellers, insurance is a good deal; for others, it’s not. What are the chances you’ll need it? How willing are you to take risks? How much is peace of mind worth to you? Take these considerations into account, understand your options, and make an informed decision for your trip.

17. Do I need to make reservations for restaurants? Whether you are on a tight schedule or not, making a reservation at a restaurant will help alleviate a lot of stress. The general rule is, the more popular a restaurant is the earlier you have to make a reservation. With exception of the Michelin star restaurants in Skåne you can usually get a table if you book 2 weeks ahead of time.

18. Where can I find suggestions on what to do in Skåne? You can head to Visit Skåne’s website, which is the official tourist guide. All you got to do is to choose a theme or region and get inspired! We are also very fond of Tripadvisor, Arrivalguides and Lonely Planet.

19. In case of an accident, where do I find a doctor or a pharmacy? For emergency assistance from police, fire brigade, ambulance etc, call “112”. Emergency calls from pay phones are free of charge. If you need to see a doctor, visit the nearest hospital clinic ("Närakut", "Akutmottagning" or "Vårdcentral"), taking your passport and European Health Insurance (EHIC) with you. Prescriptions are dispensed at pharmacies (“Apotek”), which are generally open during normal shop hours. A 24-hour service is available in the major cities. Since 2010 it is also possible to buy non-prescription medicine in regular stores.

20. Can I swim, hike, bike, and roam around wherever I want? Yes, pretty much! When you move about in the Swedish nature, generally The right of Public Access (Allemansrätten in Swedish) applies. This law is unique to Sweden and protects every person’s right to move freely and enjoy nature. It allows you to walk on privately owned land, swim in privately owned waters and to pick wild flowers, mushrooms and berries. This law is one of the reasons why Sweden is such an attractive hiker’s destination. Nevertheless, there are rules to be aware of and to follow; you are not allowed to harm land or property, you are not allowed to pick protected flowers and plants, you are not always allowed to light a fire and let your dog run free.

21. Denmark and Sweden Öresund runt: If you want to discover the whole Öresund region i.e both parts of Denmark and Skåne, you can buy Skånetrafiken’s “Öresund rundt” card. This card is valid on Skånetrafiken’s Öresundståg, Pågatåg, city buses and regional buses on the Swedish side of the Öresund. In Denmark it is valid on the coastal line with Öresundståg, the Copenhagen Metro and Movia’s buses in Copenhagen, and on Scandline’s ferries between Helsingborg and Helsingør. It lasts for 48 hours.

22. Bike on means of transport. The network of public transport let riders bring their bikes on board.

23. Since January 2016, there are border controls taking place when entering Sweden at the train stations adjacent to the Öresund Bridge, at the toll station on the bridge and by the ferries in Denmark and in Sweden. Then a valid ID with photo identification for all travelers is needed (passport, valid driver's license or approved Nordic EU ID card).

24. Shops opening hours. The following is a general indication of opening hours in Malmö: Banks 9am–5pm Monday to Friday Restaurants 11.30am–2.30pm and 5pm–midnight (often close on Monday or Tuesday) Cafes 9am–4pm (often closed on Sundays and Mondays) Bars and Clubs 10pm–4am Shops 9am–5pm Monday to Saturday. Supermarkets and shops belonging to chains are open longer, and they are also open on Sundays, usually until 4pm.

25. Alcohol: All alcoholic beverages containing over 3.5% alcohol by volume are sold through the government owned chain called Systembolaget. You have to be over 20 to buy alcoholic beverages at Systembolaget, whereas the age limit for ordering alcohol in bars and restaurants is 18. The reason for this monopoly is to control and reduce damage caused by overconsumption and to promote a moderate drinking culture. Systembolaget can be found in central locations in most Swedish cities.



040-675 30 01