Ethiopian's Global Insurance Cover Passengers
For all bookings made from 01 October 2020 - 31 March 2021, passengers have insurance cover included that covers medical, repatriation and quarantine expenses if they contract COVID-19 is while overseas.
a) Passengers taking an international flight with Ethiopian
b) Passengers who test positive for COVID-19 for the first time and while overseas
c) No older than 79 years when travelling
What is not covered
In addition to the General Exclusions not covered is
(a) Any cost of treatment or care not resulting from COVID-19
(b) Costs of physiotherapy
(c) Any cost of treatment of a therapeutic nature as well as for rehabilitation measures.
Note: Pre-approval must be sought from Ethiopian's Emergency Assistance company first
Emergency Assistance Line : +44 2 073 057 472
Full details of our Sheba Comfort insurance cover can be read here
Ethiopian Airlines Refund & Date Change Policy
Updated 29 September
This policy is applicable for Passengers holding ET document (071), which have been issued/to be issued (Sales) before October 31st, 2020 for ticketed bookings(travel) between 01 March 2020 to 31st Dec2020 due to COVID-19 Pandemic & the following options are available
General Guidelines for all points mentioned from 1-4.
• No-show & rebooking fees will not be applied; allowed only Once for flights ET has currently started operation
• No-show & rebooking fees will not be applied if flight is suspended or operation resumption date is rescheduled by ET.
• Seasonality applies. Passenger can use the ticket up to December 31,2021. Booking should be done as per the RBD on the ticket.
➢ Tickets issued using low season fares, will be valid to travel on low season.
➢ Tickets issued using high season fares, can be used any time on/before DEC 2021.
Due to COVID-19 pandemic, only the following periods are considered as high seasons:
• DEC 2020/JAN 2021.
• Summer 2021 (JUN, JUL, AUG 2021)
• Dec 2021.
To stimulate demands, Summer 2020 (JUN-AUG 2020) is not considered as high season. Thus, any ticket holders can travel without paying fare difference, as far as there is a scheduled passenger flight.
1. Date Changes: Unlimited changes are permitted free of charge if flight has not started operation or if the flight resumption date is rescheduled By ET. If flight has started operation free change allowed only once. New travel dates can be any date on/before December 31, 2021 (i.e. the whole journey should be completed on or before DEC 31, 2021). Any difference in airfare or applicable taxes resulting due to change on booking
class & seasonality will need to be paid.
2. Where the travel date is not yet known, keep your ticket Open: Original ticket can be kept with an open coupon status per below guidelines:
• Both Fully unutilized tickets and/or partially utilized tickets will be valid for travel until 31st December 2021 (i.e. travel date must be on/before 31st December 2021). There is no need to call or email us to change the ticket, if you have a cancelled booking. We will keep the ticket as open status for travels so that you can rebook it whenever you decide to travel until December 31,2021. This ticket shall then be accepted at face value/residual value as payment for the new ticket for any date & flight number (not applicable for special flights like Charter flights, Cargo flights operating on passenger aircraft).
3. Voucher: Travel vouchers can be issued for partially used or fully unutilized value of the ticket and associated EMD (ticket) for excess baggage, preferred seat and plus grade upgrading fees paid (if applicable) together.
- The validity of the travel voucher will be one year from the date of issue of the voucher.
- Travel vouchers are issued per passenger and are non-transferable.
For the time being, our system doesn’t enable travel agencies to issue vouchers & if they insist, it must be issued at their nearest ET/GSA office. Such tickets could be BT/IT fares (tickets with hidden fare calculations), Exchanged without ticket information, partially utilized tickets, tickets issued by travel agencies.
If the ticket is fully unutilized & issued at ET/GSA office, Web/Mobile-App, online from ET website and ET’s GCC, Voucher request can be made online at our website using the following link: https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/aa/refund-request
4. Rerouting is permitted by applying the applicable differences in fares, fees and taxes however date change & no-show fees shall not apply per conditions on point 1. All other fare rules which was applicable as per date of original ticket issue will apply. In cases where the recalculation results in a credit value, no refunds are permitted. The original ticket will be used as the exchange document and tour code ‘’HDQ433B’’ must be
used for the newly issued document either in the tour code or endorsement box of the ticket.
5. Refunds: Due to significant volume of refund requests and social distancing because of the current unprecedented situation, unfortunately processing times for refunds are taking much longer than usual. Therefore, desirable options are 1,2,3 & 4 above however should passengers wish to proceed for refunds, following options are applicable:
- Refunds to be made before DEC 31, 2020, is subject to the applicable refund penalty but no-show fee will be waived due to COVID.
- No-show fee & Refund penalty will not be applied for any refund to be made after January 01, 2021.
- Travel agencies can submit Refund application through BSP-Link with remark ‘’HDQ433C or COVID-19 Pandemic’’.
- For direct customers (Tickets bought directly from ET/GSA office & online buyers from ET websites), may contact the nearest Ethiopian Airlines office for refund request. Ethiopian is then committed to ensure these refund applications are processed in full after 12 weeks from date of refund applications, if new flight not booked prior to this date.
• Partially utilized non-refundable tickets are not permitted for refund and will be good for
further transportations only. Therefore, options 1, 2 3 and 4 apply.
6. Tickets which has been expired after March 01,2020 will be valid for transportation exceptionally due to COVID-19 pandemic.
N.B. DOT, EU& Brazil regulations supersedes and have precedence over this policy.