Welcome to the Michigan Office of Tourism's online training programme. We’re here to help you learn why the Great Lake State is the real America.
The State of Michigan is blessed with the riches of unspoiled nature: the nation's longest freshwater coastline, lakes that feel like oceans, shimmering beaches, glorious sunrises and sunsets, daytime skies of the deepest blue, night time skies scattered with stars.
As you begin to go through the training programme, we think you’ll agree!
- Michigan is the only place in the world with a floating post office. The J.W. Westcott II is the only boat in the world that delivers mail to ships while they are still underway. They have been operating for 125 years.
- No matter where you stand in Michigan, you will never be further than 85 miles from one of the Great Lakes.
- Michigan is the only state in the United States to have two peninsulas. Residents of the Upper Peninsula are jokingly called Yoopers by the residents of the Lower Peninsula.
- Since 1898, motorized vehicles have been prohibited on Mackinac Island- there are more than 500 horses on the island for transportation.
- Michigan is responsible for more than 75% of the cherries grown in the U.S.
- Singing sand can be found on the beaches of Grand Haven. The sand particles make a whistling sound as you walk upon them.